Guitar's tunning issues

Updated
addison b.

Posting on behalf of my girl.

Hey All;

Question that I figured I'd ask you more experienced folks about a guitar staying in tune. I've done the usual searches on this issue and understand the various factors that can contribute to a guitar not staying in tune, but this is more centred around returning a guitar due to it not staying in tune.

I recently picked up a new Gibson songwriter; it's not staying in tune for more than a few days. I still have a few weeks in which I can return it to the store I bought it at. My question: is a guitar not staying in tune a worthwhile reason to return it? Are there deeper issues that might be contributing to this? My older acoustic has stayed in tune for months (if not years  )

Pushead

Is it going out of tune when you/she is playing it, or between playing sessions? The last sentence makes me unsure.

The most common problem areas for guitars that won't stay in tune:

1) Is the guitar strung properly? Did the strings get stretched out sufficiently? Do you have enough string on the tuning peg?

2) Is the string getting caught in the nut? If so, perhaps the nut isn't cut properly.

3) Does the guitar have a tremolo bridge? If so, is the bridge adjusted properly?

These are simple things to check.

If you're worried because it goes slightly out of tune between playing sessions, that's a pretty common thing. Nothing to worry about.

Post to Thread