Esp Ltd Ec 1000T Fret Board Crack

Updated
Peng H.

I was changing out strings today and I realized there was a long crack from the 7th fret to the 14th fret. Does anyone know if this is something I should be concerned about? I purchased the guitar brand new less than a year ago btw.

Pushead

It happens, I had a similar problem on a Les Paul Custom. The prevailing wisdom is that it's caused because of humidity changes or the board being too dry. I'm not sure I believe that 100%, but ultimately, it doesn't matter. The crack is already there.

The way to address it is to fill the crack with ebony dust (shavings from a sanded board) and super thin CA/super glue. I did it myself, but a good tech or luthier in your area should be able to fix it. I suggest having someone look at it because without being addressed, the crack may spread.

I have no idea if ESP would fix it under warranty, but you should send an email with those photos to customerservice@espguitars.com

Peng H.

Thanks for the response! I watched a few videos on how Luthiers addressed and fixed cracked fretboards. They did pretty much as you stated and it doesn't seem too difficult, so I will probably end up doing it myself.

Based on what I read on ESP LTD warranty criteria, I'm pretty sure my guitar will not be covered. But I'm not too concerned. Thanks again.

Post to Thread