The Fake ESP Thread

Updated
The Fake ESP Thread

Pushead and I are here to help verify ESP and LTD guitars. If you have, or are looking to buy a guitar that you're unsure of, post pictures and questions in this thread. Please post clear pictures of the front and back of the headstock, the fretboard, and the front and back of the body. Preferably before you buy anything.

Anyone else is free to offer suggestions on authenticity. If you answer a post, please tell us why you think it's real or fake.

bratsvt

The neck

bratsvt

I also had one more question. I see on some of the guitars have a logo on them. Like "standard series" or "custom guitars". What does that mean?

Thank again 

Thedavehammett345

Can you explain better? I don't understand

Pushead

Bratsvt, I don't know what the S at the neck joint means. The circle logo on the back of headstocks were used for guitars that were exported out of Japan (US, Europe, Australia, etc.) From about 92 until 2006ish they all had ESP Custom Guitars, in the stamp. That logo didn't mean that it was made in the custom shop, it was just a normal branding logo.

After 2006 (or so) they changed the logo to help show the series of guitars it comes from. So, guitars with the ESP Standard Series logo were made on the production line. Guitars with Custom Shop logo were made in the custom shop. Guitars with Signature Series started as production line guitars but eventually moved to the Custom Shop around 2012.

Tom H.

hi, just bought this and i'm convinced its fake. Extra pot, odd placing on ltd logo, no emg marking on pick ups! What you thinking?

Pushead

As I said in your other thread, it will be interesting to see what the back of the guitar looks like.

Pushead

(copied reply from his thread in the LTD section)

Yeah, it looks like the entire guitar has been refinished. I'm not sure what all the refinish is covering, but that rear control cavity isn't stock. This may have been an LTD to start with, but there's been some "customization" with it. Based on the reflections from the back, the finish doesn't appear to have been done well. Black is a hard color to get perfectly smooth, but there's a ton of ripple there.

I dunno man, you'll have to decide how you feel about what you've received vs how much you've paid. It's certainly not a stock LTD or even an LTD with changed hardware. This has had quite a bit done to it.

w L.

Hi, I brought this LTD at few years ago, and changed the pickups, strap button and switch cap. Recently I'm trying to sell it, but a member found that the headstock is not right. Can you help me take a look? Thank you.

Pushead

The only thing that seems "off" about the FX-360 is the 3 screw truss-rod cover. I'd guess it's a replacement. Everything else checks out. A 2016 model.

w L.

Thank you very much!

mystery o.

Hey there,

Someone is asking $600 for this guitar. Having a hard time telling if it's authentic. Can someone on here please help? Hoping to swoop it up tomorrow if it's legit. Thanks so much for the help! (Oh, also any concern about those cracks/fractures in the fret board binding?) <3

Seller says, "original fitted case. replaced stock tuners with Planet Waves tuners also replaced the stock tune-o-matic bridge with a roller bridge (the original tuners and bridge are still in the case)"

Pushead

The Eclipse is legit, a 2006 model. The small cracks in the neck binding are fairly common. Nothing to worry about.

Sorry my reply is so late, I don't know how I missed your post. Hopefully you were able to make a comfortable decision if you went to see the guitar.

Tom R.

Any opinions on the legitimacy of this Custom Shop Forest GT? Seller says it's a 2008. Looks fine to me but thought I should check. I realize it has had some parts swapped out. Also, what paperwork would this have shipped new with?

Pushead

Looks good to me. It's a 2008 model and it is, in fact, a Custom Shop model.

Deltronix

Hello, was hoping you all could look at this one for me, being sold locally at an almost "too good to be true price" thank you! 

Pushead

It's legit. A 2019 EC-1000. Good luck if you decide to get it.

Deltronix

Thank you kindly, going to go get it this afternoon!

Post to Thread